Parallel Time - The Unofficial Donnie Iris SiteDAWNIE talk
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: ** Official Donnie Iris & The Cruisers Concertography **
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:19 am 
Rapper

DONNY, cute! What an interesting line up of players!

Mike 8-)

P.S. Where'd you find that one :?:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 pm 
Yinzer

Glenn:

I've not lurked on here in quite some time, but I am delighted to see this thread. Cool!

Your listing for 8/13/83 is, I believe wrong. I did see DI & C on that exact date (my only DI show!). I wish they had played in Miami, as that was where I was living at the time. However, my wife and I had to drive up to Ft. Lauderdale to attend the DI show at Summers on the Beach. No opening act.

If you ever start a set list archive, the show was:

1. Tough World
2. The Rapper
3. She's So European
4. Do You Compute?
5. My Girl
6. I Can't Hear You
7. Somebody
8. TTWLOTB
9. TTIMBL
10. King Cool
11. extended drum solo, drummer played everything (drums, speakers, chairs, floor, walls, etc.) while everbody else left the stage.
12. Love is Like A Rock
13. The High and the Mighty
14. Ah! Leah!
15. Agnes

I had a listing then of their complete east cost tour and I recall the next night they were scheduled to play in the St. Petersburg area (don't know the venue name). These were the only two dates in Florida on that tour.

Interesting that they played the Orlando Seminole Jai Alai Fronton in 1982, as that is very near to where I live now. That venue is closing in about 3 months after this Jai Alai season.

Keep up the great work, Glenn! I've enjoyed this site over the past, how many years since you started it? Maybe 7-8 years?

Ed
Attachment:
File0037.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:16 am 
Site Admin

EdBu1 wrote:
Glenn:

I've not lurked on here in quite some time, but I am delighted to see this thread. Cool!

Your listing for 8/13/83 is, I believe wrong. I did see DI & C on that exact date (my only DI show!). I wish they had played in Miami, as that was where I was living at the time. However, my wife and I had to drive up to Ft. Lauderdale to attend the DI show at Summers on the Beach. No opening act.

1. Tough World
2. The Rapper
3. She's So European
4. Do You Compute?
5. My Girl
6. I Can't Hear You
7. Somebody
8. TTWLOTB
9. TTIMBL
10. King Cool
11. extended drum solo, drummer played everything (drums, speakers, chairs, floor, walls, etc.) while everbody else left the stage.
12. Love is Like A Rock
14. Ah! Leah!
15. Agnes

I had a listing then of their complete east cost tour and I recall the next night they were scheduled to play in the St. Petersburg area (don't know the venue name). These were the only two dates in Florida on that tour.

Interesting that they played the Orlando Seminole Jai Alai Fronton in 1982, as that is very near to where I live now. That venue is closing in about 3 months after this Jai Alai season.

Keep up the great work, Glenn! I've enjoyed this site over the past, how many years since you started it? Maybe 7-8 years?

Ed
Attachment:
File0037.jpg

Fantastic post Ed. I will make the corrections and additions you suggest.

I just went and found where I got the date from and I was going off an article in the Google News Archive and I assumed it was in Miami since it was a Miami paper. It does mention "Summer On The Beach".

Awesome that you still have the ticket stub!

The setlist info in here is great too... and this is as good a place for it as any.... ending the show with "Agnes" is a twist.

The 12 year anniversary of this site is coming up on Dec. 27th.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:27 pm 
Yinzer

12th year anniversary of 'Parallel-Time'!?!! Holy crap, I'm old!

Happy 12th on Sunday!

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

More than a few dates added / clarified.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:12 pm 
Pretender

Glenn - I haven't read through the entire list, but wanted to add a few things: The August 1999 show at Conneaut was actually in the Dreamland Ballroom (which has since burned down). They also played at a place called The Park Inn in Youngstown a couple of times around 1989-1991. Holiday Inn in Beaver Falls in the early 90's. Yankee Lake on the lawn in the early 90's. I also remember they were playing somewhere near St. Pete Beach in Florida in the mid-80's. I was there on vacation and my sister was gonna take me to the show but we ended up not getting to go. :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:50 pm 
Somebody

Just re-visited the front page listing and it's getting to be pretty impressive, Glenn. Has anyone from the band every given you any feedback on this thread???

Quote:

1. Tough World
2. The Rapper
3. She's So European
4. Do You Compute?
5. My Girl
6. I Can't Hear You
7. Somebody
8. TTWLOTB
9. TTIMBL
10. King Cool
12. Love is Like A Rock
14. Ah! Leah!
15. Agnes

Now THAT is the kind of setlist I'd love to see just one more time.....call it a retro-catalog one-time/one-night only and play some of that stuff again. Or better yet call it "parallell time night". That would be killer. :-y

And he must put on a show

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Captain Vic wrote:
Just re-visited the front page listing and it's getting to be pretty impressive, Glenn. Has anyone from the band every given you any feedback on this thread???

Not that I can remember.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

AmyD wrote:
Glenn - I haven't read through the entire list, but wanted to add a few things: The August 1999 show at Conneaut was actually in the Dreamland Ballroom (which has since burned down). They also played at a place called The Park Inn in Youngstown a couple of times around 1989-1991. Holiday Inn in Beaver Falls in the early 90's. Yankee Lake on the lawn in the early 90's. I also remember they were playing somewhere near St. Pete Beach in Florida in the mid-80's. I was there on vacation and my sister was gonna take me to the show but we ended up not getting to go. :(

Cool Amy... it's hard to know where to slot things in without at least a definite year and pretty good idea on the month... but maybe this will jog the memory of someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:06 pm 
Yinzer

1982-05-16 - Golden Dome, Community College Of Beaver County, Monaca, PA (B.E. Taylor opened)
1983-01-01 - Stanley Theatre, Pittsburgh, PA
1983-10-05 - Stanley Theatre, Pittsburgh, PA
1983-12-31 - Richfield Coliseum, Richfield, OH (opened for Michael Stanley Band)

Thought some people might enjoy ticket stub scans.

I don't think you had the show at CCBC in Monaca, PA listed.

Interesting story about New Year's Eve 1983. I owned a two seat Honda CRX and my friend Jim and had tickets to drive out to the show. We were young and reckless so my friend took a pitcher of beer with us. Somewhere along trip in Beaver County we encounter a friend of Jim's who wants to go with in the two seat car. I tell him that he will have tide in the hatch, so that's where he goes with no ticket. He didn't come back with us, he said he knew some girl in Cleveland. We all had a great time.

I also went to see the Michael Stand Band on New Year's Eve the previous year at the Stanley Theatre and Donnie Iris the next night at the same venue. And the Blossom shows the MSB did in the summer every year that they did them. There are two videos that Sony released of Donnie Iris and The Michael Stanley Band from the Blossom shows in 1981. I have them both. Does anyone know which of the shows they came from? MSB released all of the tracks from those shows when Razor & Tie did the re-release of most of the non CBS catalog. I'd like to see the same from Donnie Iris as they were great tracks. The other great release would be the entire show from 1981-04-02 - Paradise Rock Club in Boston, MA.

I've seen other Donnie Iris shows, but those are the ones that I remember the most in the early eighties.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Great stuff DogCow.... two of those dates are new dates so I'll add those. Thanks! Love the ticket stubs too.

In case you're not aware, the band released the Sony "Blossom" VHS on DVD under the title "Live from Blossom" in 2006. Those shows were recorded in 1981 on 8/23, 8/24 & 8/26.

I too would love to see a full "Paradise" show released along with whatever is left over from "Blossom". Unfortunately, I'm guessing that Universal has the rights to that stuff... if the tapes even exist at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Came across a few stubs when I found a Donnie box I'd been missing. I remember how late those Nick's shows used to start and the later two tickets show 10pm. That's for the opener to hit the stage. DI&TC wouldn't hit until at least 11pm and often between 11:30 and midnight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:34 am 
Yinzer

Amy D: Your earlier post about DI appearing in St. Petersburg, FL in the mid 80s was most likely the 8/14/1983 show, the day after I attended their show in Ft. Lauderdale. Likely would have been the same set list. I don't believe they played FL again after that tour.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next